December 2019, the world was its usual self, and things were going at their normal pace. Suddenly the news was all about a pandemic outbreak called Coronavirus, also known as Covid-19. The outbreak was first seen in Wuhan, China. Certain animals like cattle and camels were infected with the virus, but how it came in contact with humans is still unknown. Some say that it spread from the animal market in Wuhan. The whole world was in chaos, and deaths were reported from everywhere.
How does the Coronavirus spread?
With so many cases being reported, governments were at a standstill and looking for measures to stop the spread. When a person with the Coronavirus coughs or sneezes, tiny droplets fall into the atmosphere and enter another person’s respiratory system. Thus, the chain continues. To stop this chain, governments of various countries have imposed lockdowns so that citizens stayed indoors.
The Covid-19, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, spreads due to close contact with a contaminated person. To reduce the risk of getting contaminated with the Covid-19 virus, every person should take certain necessary steps.
Thing’s people should do to reduce the risk of getting contaminated with the Covid-19 virus.
If everyone follows certain restraints, this chain can be broken, and the world will have a fighting chance to stop the spread:
- Always follow the guidelines of the local authority and be informed about recent developments.
- Never forget to wear a mask when going out.
- Always maintain a distance of at least 3-6 feet from other individuals.
- Avoid going to crowded places like weddings, parties, and any other get together.
- Do not stay in closed areas like churches, theatres, etc.
- Avoid touching surfaces when going out; always keep a sanitizer with you and use it whenever necessary.
- Always clean your hands and face with soap and water after coming home from outside
- When you need to cough or sneeze, cover your mouth with your elbow or tissue. Throw the used tissue into a closed container immediately.
- Always keep the windows open when indoors so that there is a flow of fresh air inside.
- Keep your surfaces clean with regular disinfectants.
Symptoms of the Novel Coronavirus
The most common symptoms of Covid-19 include:
- Dry cough
The Symptoms that are not so common:
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Rash or discoloration of fingers or toes
If you experience any of these symptoms and they are persistent, you need to see a doctor immediately and follow their guidelines.
Vaccines developed for Coronavirus
Immediately after the outbreak, every country in the world appointed their best men and scientists to research and finding a vaccine. History is a witness that whenever an epidemic or pandemic struck, a vaccine was the only answer.
Now that a vaccine has been put to the test and the world is getting vaccinated, most of the world’s population will get the immunity needed to fight the virus. But now that a new strain of covid-19 is out in the open, the world is again going through the same crisis. Vaccines available for the older strain are:
- Pfizer-Bio N Tech
- Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen
These are the vaccines authorized in the United States, but recently the Johnson and Johnson’s Janssen was put on hold. A few countries that have developed vaccines for Coronavirus and are now supplying the countries who need them as well. Covid shield, Covaxin Sputnik V, etc., are some other names of vaccines given to people in some countries. So, take your shot and get the immunity for fighting the virus.
Basic hygiene tips that will keep you away from the Coronavirus
There are so many questions that creep up in our minds about being safe from this virus. No matter how many answers we get, the mind is still confused. Even simple things make us anxious. For instance, buying vegetables, cooking food, and even breathing, we are at risk of contracting the virus. There are so many misconceptions, it is becoming increasingly difficult to carry out day-to-day activities.
Though new strains have popped up, we still know that it spreads when an infected person coughs, sneezes, etc., the droplets are what infect the person contacting it. If you want to stay safe, here are a few tips you can follow:
- Avoid touching your face when you are outside.
- Do not sneeze into your hands. Use your elbow or tissue while sneezing.
- Always keep your distance from others. 3-6 feet apart is a must.
- Washing your hands is especially important when you are back home, taking a bath is the best.
- Do not blow your nose outside.
- Do not forget to use soap while washing your hands and face after coming home.
- Keep your home clean; always use disinfectants while cleaning.
- Keep your clothes clean. Once you go out, do not wear those clothes again without washing them. Regularly wash your towels, bedsheets, etc.
- Keep your laundry bag clean as well, and it is better to use disposable laundry bags.
- Be careful while ordering food from outside, discard any packaging immediately, and put the food on a clean plate. Wash your hands with soap, and then eat your food.
- Online shopping has become popular due to this pandemic, but whenever your parcel arrives, always make sure that the packing is removed and discarded, and if you have new clothes, do not wear them immediately.
These are a few tips, if followed correctly, that will keep you safe and away from the Coronavirus. With each new strain of the virus, things are getting more and more complicated. But let us come together and fight against it. Stay home and sacrifice a few enjoyments like going out and partying etc.